In his book “Working Out Loud for a Better Career and Life” author John Stepper indicates that “Working out loud starts with making your work visible in such a way that it might help others. When you do that – when you work in a more open, connected way – you can build a purposeful network that makes you more effective and provides access to more opportunities”. Stepper provides five elements in the working out loud process – purposeful discovery; building relationship; leading with generosity; making you and your work visible; and a growth mindset.
I believe that submitting a nomination for a Friend of NEAFCS – MN Affiliate award is one way we can each ‘work out loud’ — to tell the story of the work we do and the valuable partners we work with. Each of us have built relationships with partners within our communities, within the University and within our discipline. Take a few minutes to ‘lead with generosity’ by submitting an award application to recognize and lift up the work and contributions of those partners — an individual, team, or organization who has provided significant contributions to support and enhance quality Family and Consumer Sciences educational programs.
Now is the time to work out loud! Nominations for the Friend of NEAFCS – MN Affiliate are due June 1 to email@example.com. Award nomination details are available in this document – Friend NEAFCS-MN Affiliate Nomination Process – updated 2018
identifies five elements in the working out loud process —
Thank you to Kathy Olson, Silivia Alvarez de Davila, Trish Olson & Mary Jo Katras for their efforts to recognize our 2017 Friend of NEAFCS – MN Affiliate Award winner, Debra Landvik Letendre!
Now is your opportunity to recognize a Friend of NEAFCS – MN Affiliate. Please consider nominating a an individual, team, or organization for the 2018 Friend of NEAFCS – MN Affiliate Award who has provided significant contributions to support and enhance quality Family and Consumer Sciences educational programs. Nominations are due June 1 to Awards Committee chairperson, Sara Croymans @ firstname.lastname@example.org.
The application is fairly short & simple — limited to a two page narrative and up to three additional pages up supporting materials. Application details can be found in this document — Friend NEAFCS-MN Affiliate Nomination Process – updated 2018.
Questions about the process can be directed to Awards/Membership Committee members Kathy Brand (email@example.com), Kelly Kunkel (firstname.lastname@example.org), Mary Caskey (Caske002@umn.edu) or Sara Croymans (email@example.com).
The NEAFCS – MN Affiliate Awards were presented yesterday, August 10, 2017, at our Professional Development Day, Different Perspectives of Storytelling for Extension Educators, in Brainerd, MN. Congratulations to the MN Affiliate Award Winners list below. The Regional and National awards will be presented at the Annual Session in October 2017 in Omaha, NE.
- Community Partnership Award, “One Vegetable, One Community – Community Partnership”; Megan Hruby, Kirsten Fagerlund (Public Health/SHIP) & Amanda Lien (Chamber of Commerce); 3rd place Central Region
- Communications Radio/Podcast Program Award, “MFLN Family Transitions – Todd & Peggy Podcasts”; Sara Croymans, Anita Hering, Ellie McCann, Robert Bertsch, Mary Jo Katras, Karen Shirer, Vickie LaFollette; 1st Central Region and 2nd National
- Continued Excellence Award (CE) – Kelly Kunkel; (recognized at National)
- Food Safety Award, “Safe Food Sampling at Farmer’s Markets and Community Events”; Suzanne Driessen & Kathy Brandt; 1st Central Region; 1st National
- Educator of the Year – Kathleen Olson
- Communications Newsletters Award, “Backpack Nutrition Newsletter”; Kelly Kunkel, Betsy Johnson, Beth Labenz, Sharmyn Phipps, Heather Lee, Hannah Jastrom Aaberg, Jessica Barnes, Ruth Ellis, & Mary Vitcenda
- School Wellness, “Project BreakFAST: Making a Difference in School Wellness”; Mary Schroeder, Mary Caskey, Dr. Susie Nanney, Amy Shanafelt, Kate Grannon, Dr. Caitlin Caspi, Margaret Haggenmiller, Stephanie Hakes, Andrea Kronbach, Kam Schroeder, Diane Davis-Kenning, Bonnie Christiasen, Darlyce Rangaard, Kam Schroeder, Ellen Dodds,DeeAnn Leines, Mary Hearst, Dr. Lisa Harnak, Dr. Martha Kubik, Dr. Robert Leduc & Qi Wang; 1st Central Region
- Communications Educational Curriculum Package Award, “Educacion: Nuestra mejor Herencia (Education: Our Best Legacy)”; Silvia Alvarez De Davila, Kathleen Olson, Victoria Campoverde, Karen Shirer, Patricia Stoppa,Colleen Gengler, Jo Musich, Heather Lee, Mary Marczak & Patricia Olson; 3rd Central Region
- Marketing Package Award, “Military Families Learning Network Family Transitions”; Anita Hering, Sara Croymans, Ellie McCann, Mary Jo Katras, Karen Shirer, Bob Bertsch & Vickie LaFollette; 3rd Central Region
- Communications Photography Award, “Photo of a Military Child”; Sara Croymans; 1st Central Region
- Friend of NEAFCS – MN Affiliate, Debra Landvik – MN Department of Education; Nominated by Kathleen Olson, Silvia Alvarez de Davila, Patricia Olson & Mary Jo Katras
(front row) Silvia Alvarez de Davila, Mary Caskey, and Mary Schroeder
(back row) Anita Harris Hering, Colleen Gengler, Megan Hruby, Suzanne Driessen, Kathy Brandt, and Sara Croymans
As you are completing your 2017 Plan of Work and 2016 Assessment (& NEAFCS Impact Statements Suzanne Driessen recently emailed about) please plan to submit a NEAFCS Awards Application! There has been a lot of really great work in MN this past year and we want to share your accomplishments with others across the nation! It is time to tell your story!
NEAFCS MN Affiliate Award applications are due February 15, 2017. Award applications and all supporting material need to be uploaded into the national on-line system. Here are some tips for submitting your application(s):
- All NEAFCS Awards information is available on the NEAFCS Awards web page
- Identify which award categories your project fits into by reviewing the Awards-at-a-Glance document.
- Check out the step by step instructions on how to submit an application.
- Please note — MN Award applications will be accepted up until February 15.
- If you need to edit your application prior to our February 15 deadline, you will need to re-upload all of your files again. You cannot delete a file that has been previously submitted. To remove the file, re-upload the files you want included, and upload a blank page for the file you want to delete.
- There will not be an opportunity to edit/change your application after the Minnesota February 15 deadline
- To ensure high quality applications it is strongly recommended that submitters have their application materials reviewed prior to submitting online by someone else to ensure that the application is complete, easy to read & understand and contains no typos or grammatical errors.
- For your review is a ppt from National that provides insights on the awards process. It is worth spending a few minutes to review the slides.
If you have questions about the awards submission process please feel free to contact me (Sara Croymans – firstname.lastname@example.org or 320-226-6052) or any of the MN awards/membership committee members (Kelly Kunkel, Kathy Brandt, Sara VanOffelen, Silva Alvarez de Davila, Sharon Powell, Anita Hering, Antonio Alba Meraz or Kathy Olson).
In addition, the Awards/Membership committee also encourages members to submit a proposal to present at the NEAFCS Annual Session in Omaha October 16-19, 2017. The call for proposals has not yet been posted … please watch for this information on the NEAFCS 2017 Annual Session web page.
We look forward to seeing awards applications from Minnesota Affiliate members! Please reach out with any questions!
Congratulations to the following 2016 NEAFCS – MN Affiliate Award Winners who were recognized at the NEAFCS – MN Professional Development Day “Creating Personal and Professional Harmony in Our Lives” on July 14, 2016 on the St. Paul Campus:
- Communications Educational Curriculum Package:Financial Recovery After Disaster Video Series – Sara Croymans, Lori Hendrickson, Lori Scharmer, Trish Olson, Bruce Sundeen & Scott Swanson
- Communications Newsletter Award:Latino Financial Literacy Newsletter – Sara Croymans, Antonio Alba, Jose Lamas, Gabriela Burk, Francisca Mendoza, Heather Lee, Mary Vitcenda & Jessica Barnes
- Community Partnership:Engaged Stakeholders Guide Development of Just-in-Time Disaster Recovery Video Series – Lori Hendrickson, Sara Croymans, Lori Scharmer, Trish Olson, Bruce Sundeen, Scott Swanson
- Continued Excellence:Suzanne Driessen
- Distinguished Service Award:Mary Caskey
- Food Safety:Safe Food Sampling at Farmers’ Markets and Community Events – Suzanne Driessen, Kathy Brandt & Glenyce Peterson Vangness
- Human Development/Family Relationships: Parenting in the Age of Overindulgence Online Course – Becky Hagen-Jokela, Kelly Kunkel, Ellie McCann & Jean Illsley Clark
- Past President’s New Professional:Farm-to-School through Nutrition Education and Community Partnerships – Megan Jannsen
- Social Networking: Military Families Learning Network – Family Transitions – Anita Hering, Sara Croymans, Mary Jo Katras, Ellie McCann, Karen Shirer, Vickie LaFollette & Bob Bertsch
The following individuals and teams were recognized at the NEAFCS Annual Session Awards Ceremony in Big Sky, Montana on September 15, 2016:
- Continued Excellence:Suzanne Driessen
- Distinguished Service Award:Mary Caskey
- Social Networking: Military Families Learning Network – Family Transitions – Anita Hering, Sara Croymans, Mary Jo Katras, Ellie McCann, Karen Shirer, Vickie LaFollette & Bob Bertsch – 1st Place Central Region & 2nd Place National
Also, the following award application submitted through NEAFCS – ND Affiliate was recognized at the national awards banquet:
- Communications Television/Video Program: Family Financial Recovery After Disaster Video Series – Lori Scharmer, Lori Hendrickson, Sara Croymans, Trish Olson, Scott Swanson & Bruce Sundeen – 1st Place Central Region & 2nd Place National