NEAFCS-MN Affiliate Executive Committee Meeting Minutes
December 12, 2018 — 1:00 – 2:00 pm
Call to Order – President Kelly Kunkel called the meeting to order at 1:03 pm via Google Hangout..
Present on the call were Kelly Kunkel, Anita Hering, Megan Hruby, Antonio Alba Meraz and Sara Croymans
Addition to the agenda – information on the MN Affiliate handbook
Secretary’s Report – M/S/C (Megan/Antonio) to approve the minutes of the May 15, 2018 Executive Board meeting Minutes. There was a question on whether there had been an additional meeting in August. Anita will check with past Secretary Mary Schroeder about
Treasurer’s Report – Megan Hruby shared the current account balances: Checking – $5,561.81; Savings – $851.06; Foundation Account – $10,391 (as of 8/16/18); and University CF String – to be used in FY 19 – $4117.94. There was a question on whether the University CF String balance should be $2000 less and the Foundation Account should be $2000 more.
It is believed that the Endowment fund is the result of hosting the annual session administered by the University Foundation. This is our Quasi Endowment fund. The University CF String Account is money from when MAEE dissolved.
Megan indicated she had found an email from Sharon Powell about conversation with Sue Young; we can take 20% of Foundation Account monies and transfer to the University CF String. Accessing funds in the Foundation Account requires a signature from Dean Durgan.
There had been some issues in submitting forms for the money in the endowment; so some professional development expenses this past year were paid from our checking account.
University String Account is used to pay for expenses such as the budgeted amount to support JCEP & PILD participation. The Authorization to Request To Access FD Gift Funds Form used to request Endowment Funds/Quasi Endowment Funds has incorrect information in the footer (it references the Quali Skjervold funds, not the NEAFCS Endowment/Quasi Endowment Fund). Megan will check with Heather Lee on the need to update the form for NEAFCS Foundation Fund requests.
Megan noted that this past fiscal year budgeted funds for Professional Development (JCEP & PILD) conferences were paid out of our checking account due to challenges accessing the Foundation funds. In the future, support for these conferences should be paid out of theFoundation Funds. Note: Foundation funds cannot be paid deposited into NEAFCS account, it must be paid directly to a member or a vendor.
M/S/C (Kelly/Megan) for Megan, Anita & Kelly to meet with Karen Shirer to see if a process has been developed to access the Foundation Funds.
Old Business –
- NEAFCS Professional Development Day and Annual Meeting – held September 14, 2018 in St. Cloud. Speakers were great. Karen Shirer received the Friend of NEAFCS – MN Affiliate Award. It would be great to promote the association to the non-members in attendance. We could have used 2 hours rather than 90 minutes for the annual meeting.
- Awards Committee – Sara reported she participated on National’s Awards webinar last week. A few award categories have been combined. National deadline is again March 15; MN typically has a state deadline of February 15. Sara will pull the committee together.
- Public Policy/Public Relations – Kelly noted that Suzanne Driessen sent a recent email encouraging people to submit Impact Statements by January 11 to Becky Hagen Jokela.
- Professional Development Committee – no report.
- Ad Hoc Treasurer’s Report and Audit Recommendation (Megan & Mary Caskey) – Megan reviewed the audit recommendations.
- Area Representatives – Antonio is southern area rep. There is no area rep for the northern and metro regions.
- Ad Hoc Membership – Mary Caskey is currently the only member. Purpose – to change wording in bylaws to be more inclusive of who qualifies for membership. Anita will join the committee. Suggested revisions will require a membership vote.
- Membership Committee – Megan reported that we currently have 9 members and had 16 in 2018. We are waiting on checks from 2 members and three members are choosing not to renew and one member is retiring. Megan has sent Karen Shirer information on life membership.
- M/S/C (Sara/Megan) for Kelly as President & Kathy Brandt as Membership Chair to send Trish Olson, new ECFD Associate Dean, a letter inviting her to join the association.
New Business –
- President Elect Vacancy – all eligible annual members and life members have been asked.
- NEAFCS 2019 Annual Session September 30 – October 3, 2019 in Hershey, PA
- 2019 JCEP – February 6-7 in San Antonio, TX; President Elect typically attends
- 2019 PILD April 14-17, 2019 in Washington DC; Kelly plans to participate as President
- Kelly will schedule 2019 Executive Committee meeting dates for March, June & August
- The MNAffiliate Handbook needs to be updated to reflect the National Handbook. Anita has will share these again with committees for additional input.
- As President, Kelly will submit the Affiliate Annual Report Form by December 31, 2018
- Anita will submit the new officer’s names to National.
- NEAFCS MN Affiliate presented Karen Shirer a retirement gift at her recent retirement party.
M/S/C (Megan/Anita) to adjourn the meeting.
Minutes by Sara Croymans, Secretary