NEAFCS-MN Executive Committee Agenda and Minutes
May 15, 2018
Anita Harris, Antonio Meraz, Sharon Powell, Megan Hruby, Kelly Kunkel, Mary Schroeder
Call to Order –
Anita called the meeting to order.
Approval of January 2018 Minutes
Sharon moved to approve minutes. Kelly second. Minutes approved.
Mary S. will check to make sure that January minutes were posted to blog.
• Checking Balance: $5,986.81
• Savings Balance: $850.91
• University Foundation Account:
• Additional areas to follow-up from Annual Meeting
• An ad hoc committee will look at specific line items for JCEP and PILD with a possible increase in next year’s budget.
• Treasure books need to be audited. The audit will be done at an office where there are 2-3 NEAFCS Members housed, such as St. Cloud. Megan will check with Sara Van Offelen about the audit.
NEAFCS Professional Development Day and Annual Meeting 2017
• Policies that were discussed at the Annual meeting with ongoing follow-up
• Electronic vote – Anita will follow-up with Sharon Powell regarding contacting Lori Hendrickson about by-law changes
• Reviewed proposed changes in organizational structure from Regional Representatives to Center Representatives. This would reflect current structure of University of Minnesota Extension and require by-law change.
• Divide the Awards and Membership Committee into the Awards Committee and a Membership Committee. By-law change required.
NEAFCS National Officer Handbook 2017/18 https://dochub.com/anitaharris7f17e8ea/y5B18g/2017-2018-neafcs-affiliate-officer-toolki
• Anita Hering and Antonio Alba are reviewing the new National 2017/18 handbook and comparing it to the MN Handbook, and will make recommendations for the Minnesota handbook so that it is current and in compliance with National.
Ad Hoc Committee
Scholarship Process An ad hoc committee. Action from May. mtg: Megan will contact Kathy Brandt and Mary Caskey
National Annual meeting
An ad hoc committee formed to develop a proposal. Sharon, and Sara C. and Mary C. agreed to work on it ad hoc committee.
• Investigating a “state only” active membership in order offer membership to those who don’t have college degrees. They would pay minimal dues. This would require a by-law change. Committee would need to look at implications. For example, could state only members apply for awards even though they are not eligible for national awards.
• Scholarship form for annual meeting should be posted in June.
Sara Croymans has updated Friends of NEAFCS application. 2018 award applications due June 1, 2018.
Is there an official place the Friends of NEAFCS should be kept besides the blog. The blog seemed like the best place.
Awards of been submitted to national but have not received announcement yet.
Public Policy/Public Relations
Several impact statements moved on to National and then Suzanne wrote an article and send out that people could use in their newsletters, etc.
Professional Development Committee
Shawna Thompson, Mary Caskey, Lori Hendrickson, Megan Hurby discussed the 2018 professional development day. Looking at holding the Professional Development Day one of the first 2 weeks in September. Possible location in St. Cloud. A “Save the Date” will be coming out soon.
JCEP 2018 February 14 – 15, 2018 Orlando, FL
• Kelly Kunkel attended
• She applied for a $350 scholarship and got it.
• There is a summary on the blog. National speakers were on the first day and breakouts on the second day. 60% of national members will be able to retire in the next few years. The organization needs to be aware of this and keep relevant.
PILD 2018 April 8-11, 2018 – PILD Conference at The Hyatt Regency Crystal City, Arlington, Virginia
• Sharon Powell attended along with approximately 500 others.
• Highlights: Focus on civil discourse. Favorite part, meeting with national leaders on upcoming grants, programming. Funding coming on opiods. Visiting with legislators is good. Impact statements were helpful.
2018 NEAFCS Annual Session Call for Proposals
• Deadline was January 31, 2018
NATIONAL NEAFCS STRATEGIC PLAN
• Anita wanted to send out the National goals or publish in the blog each week of February but due to unforeseen events was unable too.
• Anita will send out plan in a blog or email in May 2018
National Nominating Committee
• May/June duty – be prepared to nominate a member from your State/Territory Affiliate to serve on the National Nominating Committee. Each Region is represented on the committee. Elections will be conducted at the Regional and National Business Meetings held during Annual Session.
• Best to put down everyone’s name who is going to Nationals so we have a voting delegate.
• Anita will watch for information about delegates that will be coming from nationals
Annual Session – San Antonio, TX, Sept. 24-27, 2018
• Encourage members to attend Annual Session
• National has TWO NEW SCHOLARSHIPS for Annual Session in San Antonio this year!
The 1st Timer Annual Session Scholarship Application Form – Deadline is June 15th
Affiliate Leadership Complimentary Scholarship Application Form – Deadline is September 1st
• Due to last year’s Annual Session in Omaha being a great success, the board would like to give back some of the net proceeds to benefit NEAFCS members attending the 2018 Annual Session.
• These benefits include first timer annual session registration scholarships, one free annual registration per affiliate (president or a designee), a small stipend for concurrent session and poster session speakers, and a free annual session registration to be awarded to the App winner. More information on the speaker stipends will be provided in the proposal acceptance letters. Additional information on the App winner will be forthcoming.
• For those who completed the member survey, thank you. Your responses were very helpful in making the decision to provide these member benefits.
MN NEAFCS GOALS 2017-18 –
• Did not have time to discuss on call. Anita will start a google doc so we can make comments prior to our next meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 4:30.